Saturday, April 10, 2010

Steak & Cheese Sub

We got some steak on offer in Dunnes Stores tonight and found some tasty looking soft baps in Aldi so we decided on a Steak and cheese sub. It's kind of inspired by the Subway steak and cheese except we know exactly what is going into this one!





Thinly sliced green peppers and red onions with a spicy mayonnaise. I mixed some Sriracha with light mayo.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I marinaded the steak in olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and sliced garlic. The garlic was meant to be a background tone so that's why I left it fairly big and it was left behind in the dish and not cooked with the steaks.
 
Mr. Chops had jalapenos with his sub but I didn't. I'm not a fan of jalapenos and when Mr. Chops has stuff hot, he has it really hot!!!!
 
I cooked the steaks for longer than normal as I'd usually have them medium but for a sub I think that they have to be slightly over medium. It took about 5mins to cook the steak and while they were sizzling in the pan I toasted the soft buns in the oven. I slit the buns open and put a good grating of Wexford mature cheddar into them with a good grating of Parmesan on top and let them heat in the oven. The buns got the same amount of time in the oven as the steaks got on the hob.
 
To assemble the sub, smear a big swipe of sauce across the base, then layer on in this order: steak, red onion, peppers, jalapenos and finally lettuce. Then spread your chops as wide as possible to get the biggest bite you can, fairly delicious I tells ya. So delicious, Mr. Chops now wants to do his version! Imitation is the highest form of flattery I've heard.
 
 
 
Mr. Chops Steak & Cheese sub
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is mine, only difference is there's no jalapenos. The sauce on top was an afterthought, there was a little left and I hate waste!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment