Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gummy's Rarebit

It's been a lazy Saturday. I had a nice lie-in and got a little bit of study in. Mr. Chops is gone for the day so I've had the house to myself and the silence is lovely. Not that I don't like having Mr. Chops around but it is nice to have a little bit of time to yourself.  I had a craving for cheese on toast but as I had a late start it had to be a brunch style meal for me. I decided on a variation of Welsh Rarebit but it is probably more appropriate to call it an open toasted sandwich.

You need to mix together an egg, grated cheese, a teaspoon of English mustard, very finely chopped scallion, salt and lashings of freshly ground black pepper.

While I was I combining the ingredients I toasted two slices of white bread and preheated the grill to its highest setting. Once the toast is done, lay your slices of ham on top and then spread the cheese mixture over to completely cover.


Before you put them under the grill grate on some more black pepper. Personally I love lashings of pepper on grilled cheese. Let them bubble under the grill until they are golden brown. Don't fret that the egg won't be cooked it will.


This is them beginning to brown under the grill.












A couple of views of the finished article.


These were very delicious and there was a lovely hot kick from the mustard.





No comments:

Post a Comment