Sunday, April 4, 2010

Chinese-Style Salmon Parcels with Stir Fried Noodles

I was looking for fresh salmon the other day in the supermarket and couldn't get any so I settled for some frozen salmon fillets. Sunday used to mean Chinese or Indian takeaway but not any more. I opted for parcels because its a good way to cook frozen fish.

I made a marinade of soy sauce, olive oil, chilli flakes, garlic, ginger, little drop of sesame oil and finely chopped scallion. Be careful with the sesame oil it can be very overpowering and you may as well throw your dinner away if you overdo it. Lay the salmon fillet on some greaseproof paper which is laid on tin foil. It needs to be double wrapped to protect the fillets.



What you're hoping for is a crimped effect like in the picture. I didn't want any steam to escape so I fold over one edge on top of the other. I think it looks like a Cornish pasty shape when it's finished.

I baked it in a moderate over for 25mins. If it was a fresh fillet or darne I wouldn't cook it for more than 15mins. I like my salmon just a little bit under in the middle because it stays nice and juicy.


I had decided to have noodles with my salmon as its been ages since I had them. So long in fact that they were gone well out of date unfortunately. Mr. Chops suggested using pasta as an alternative so I boiled up some spaghetti instead but noodles would suit this dish more. I stir fried some sliced green pepper, mushrooms, shallot, garlic and ginger with some light and dark soy sauce. I added the cooked spaghetti and stir fried it for a few seconds. Serve this on the side of your salmon, pouring a couple of teaspoons of the cooking liquor over the salmon.

My salmon was slightly overcooked. When you see the whitish foam that's a sign of it being overcooked - Masterchef is good for more than just competition you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment