Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sorry, It's Been a While

Yeah, its been ages actually, over a month apparently (insert sad smiley face here please). Cooking has been on the down-low due the Mr. Chops being on overtime a lot and who can be bothered cooking for one, night after night? I've been putting a lot of effort into Doggie Chops recently because he had a sick tummy so it was a strict diet of chicken, rice and some pasta. I've been slowly trying to introduce dog nuts back into his diet but it seems Doggie Chops is an animal of discerning taste and palate and not everything is acceptable. Though, he has no problem with sausages, burgers, stew, toast, biscuits, pretzels.....basically whatever I'm eating! Also, I've started an Open University course about Leonardo da Vinci and I've been trying to get ahead on it cos there's lots of reading. But I'm feeling awfully intelligent reading dem big words.

Anyway, tonight I watched 'Julie & Julia'. For those who don't know, its the film of New Yorker Julie Powell's year long blog to cook her way through Julia Child's 'Mastering the Art of French Cookery'. Meryl Streep plays Julia and Amy Adams plays Julie. Since I saw Amy in Enchanted she has become a favourite actress of mine. She's brilliant in 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' as well. I digress, the film is sweet, warm and engaging. Both the leads are amazing, though that's kind of a given with Meryl. For anyone who's ever seen footage of Julia Childs I think Meryl really captures her, though I'd like to know how they made her tower over Stanley Tucci (he plays husband Paul) it was a feat of cinema magic. The film has inspired me to order Volume I of Julia's book and her autobiography from Amazon. I'll read the biog first methinks and I'll cherrypick from the cookery book; I don't have the discipline or the time at the moment, but I have to say I felt the inclination to make Boeuf Bourguignon. If you watch the movie you'll understand why.

What amazed me most about the movie is loving way the food is shot. You're salivating watching it and my gosh did I want duck after I watched. So that's my recommendation for today: Julie & Julia.

Speaking of duck, I had delicious crispy duck last night from the local Chinese (see I'm not cooking). It was falling off the bone but still a little bit pink in the middle and the Hoisin was unctious and sweet. Even Mr. Chops liked it and he doesn't like duck that much or Chinese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment