Saturday, June 19, 2010

Salt & Chilli Prawns

Tesco had their frozen raw tiger prawns reduced to half price this week so I got a couple of bags. Then what to do with them? I was in a picky mood and couldn't face a big dinner. I decided to try and replicate the Salt & Chilli prawns that you get in the Chinese, turns out it isn't hard to!


I scored the back of the prawns and then coated them lightly in cornflour.  You then toss them in a combination of sea salt, chilli flakes and a pinch of Chinese Five-Spice powder making sure that each prawn is covered.  The traditional recipe calls for them to be deep fried but as I'm dieting I didn't do that. I poured a scant teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan and fried the prawns for 2 mins on each side on a high heat. This means that you get a similar crispy coating to that you would get if you deep fried and your prawns will still be juicy and not over-cooked.

These are delicious on their own or dipped into sweet chilli sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment