Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thoughts are turning to Christmas

Only 10 days to big celebration and there's been a change of plans this year, Mammy Chops is joining us. My ma was going on about spending the day alone and we decided to invite her being the nice people we are! Anyway, now its got me thinking what will I cook? Being an elderly lady of 79 its not everything she can eat. So the recipe testing has started. Tonight I decided to try a carrot soup. I finely chopped garlic clove, 3 medium sized carrots, an onion, a small potato, good pinch of ground coriander and plenty of seasoning. I gently fried them off in oil and real butter until the onion was soft and translucent. Then added approx a litre of stock with a big splash of orange juice, you need to cover the veg completely. I let that bubble away gently for around three quarters of an hour, then blitzed it up with my hand held! It should be a nice smooth soup and you know what, it turned out quite nice, if I say so myself. So it looks like a runner for Christmas day.

There might be a few additions on the day itself - I was thinking finely chopped crispy chorizo sprinkled on, or finely chopped red chilli, red pepper & spring onion as a garnish. For the Mammy it'll be plain soup with some warm bread.
Now onto the dessert.....

No comments:

Post a Comment